Friday, March 13, 2009

Hole in Sidewalk Story

Many coaches and some of the addiction recovery programs like to use a short powerful poem that is a wonderful metaphor for how to live life...especially in these tough times. Recently one of my coaches, the very talented Jennifer Sabin, reminded me of this powerful poem by the late Portia Nelson. The following poem is from Nelson's book There is a Hole in My Sidewalk:

''Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

I. I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I fall in. I am lost. . .I am helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.

II. I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I am in the same place. But, it isn't my fault. It still takes a long time to get out.

III. I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I fall in . . . it's a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.

IV. I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I walk around it.

V. I walk down another street."

Portia was a multi-talented artist and real Renaissance woman who upon her death the NY Times called "one of the most beloved New York night club performers of the 1950's." She was also a songwriter, painter, actress, and author.

In today's environment, holes abound. The question is do you keep falling in the same hole? Or, the same type of hole?

Or....are you taking graduate level courses in tough times, learning from your experiences, and appropriately shifting your direction?

No comments: