Sunday, November 9, 2008

Embracing the Recession of 2008-2009

I have just completed an intensive week on the road visiting with clients and counseling partners of my clients. As I had marketing tune-up sessions with high-end lawyers, consultants and investment bankers, I observed a wide range of attitudes and emotions about the recession. The experience stretched my own thinking as to who will prosper in this downturn.

Of course, everybody's situation is unique. Skills, experience, current financial position, current job platform, energy, and adaptability are among the factors that will play a role in how someone will do in the downturn. But, probably most important factor is one’s attitude.

Attitude always plays a very, very important part in how we deal with any situation.

Let me be as clear as I can be. Attitude alone will not rectify every problem situation. But, the right attitude can -- and will -- make a huge difference in any situation.

I have found it useful to think of how entrepreneurs, managers and professionals think about the recession as a spectrum ranging from denial through embracing the recession.

Specifically, I see people as falling into one of four categories with respect to the recession:

1. Denying
2. Fearing
3. Accepting
4. Embracing

In each of my next four pasts this week, I will cover one category of this spectrum of attitudes. For each, I will share some of the behaviors that would suggest that an individual is in a given category. And, I will share how you can move forward along this spectrum to become one of those embracing the recession.

The notion of embracing the recession may, at first blush, strike you as being very strange. But, I hope to show you that embracing the recession is absolutely key to prospering in these tough times.

Are you embracing the recession?

Up next: Tomorrow, we will cover the riskiest of all attitudes about the recession, denying its existence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave -
In some respects, I feel like I may have contributed to the recession as months before the market meltdown, my wife and I put away the credit cards and began rationalizing spend in a signficant way.

However, it would worry me that Obama and company would 'embrace' the recession as a political opportunity since, in my view, government contributed to this recession in so many ways, i.e. Community Redevelopment Act, ACORN, etc.

It is highly unlikely that a Democratic administration will see any value to reducing the tax burden, making the country more economically competitive, or using market based reforms to address economic issues. When FDR 'embraced' the Great Depression he only left us with a legacy that has done more harm than good.

Bob Tormey