Friday, January 23, 2009

Are You a Dinosaur?

Everywhere I turn, I am seeing dinosaurs. Good people, but people who see the world as it has been, and act in ways more consistent with times long gone.

I see business owners who are seeing things through the prism of their past experience, rather than drawing on their experience to fashion winning strategies for what is before them.

I see business executives who are doing likewise.

And, I see workers who are doing likewise.

Dinosaurs became extinct because they did not adopt to a changing environment they faced. People who do not quickly adapt to our changed environment face a fate almost as bad as extinction.

Let me be clear:
I am subject to the same risk of becoming a dinosaur as you are.

Like you, the lens through which I see the world is potentially clouded by years of experience.

But, I am determined to prosper in these times. I am committed to opening my eyes and mind to new realities. Each and every day, I am gathering new data points as to what is transpiring in the business world, in our society, etc. And, I am working more diligently than ever to process the data points.

You see, I have made a commitment to not become a dinosaur. What about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and keen observations. I'd like to know more on what you are doing to avoid becoming a dinosaur and if you are having success. I'm sure in tips, advice and suggestions would be great to post here to motivate your readers to do the same.

Blog Host said...

Sharon

I doubt any of us are good judges of whether we are becoming a dinosaur. So, I am not the best person to comment on the success I am having in avoiding becoming a dinosaur.

As to my personal efforts to avoid being such, I have redoubled my efforts to stay close to the market. I am probing, probing, probing to reach my own conclusions as to the pace of change and changes I need to make. I am blessed to have amazing mentors and proteges who are so valuable in my efforts to understand what is going on. Finally, writing for my two blogs forces me to try to stay current.

Your question is so good, I will write a post or two on this subject in coming weeks.

Thanks for your interest.