Saturday, January 17, 2009

Benefits of Recession

One of the many things for which I am perpetually grateful is the wonderful mentors that surround me. The wisdom of my mentors keeps my own thinking on track, no matter what else is going on around me.

Yesterday was a double treat in that I spent time with two of my mentors. In the afternoon, I had the pleasure of meeting with Mark DiSalvo, CEO of Semaphore and one of the smartest entrepreneurs that I know. (Sempahore is a Boston based consulting firm that advises clients on value creation in distressed VC funds and in portfolio companies.)

Friday evening, I was with another of my mentors: the fabulous Cheryl Richardson. Cheryl spoke at the launch event for her new book, The Art of Extreme Self Care. I love her new book as explained in an earlier post.

I was struck by the fact that both Mark and Cheryl articulated their hope (and expectation) that the current economic malaise is likely to produce societal changes that will be among the benefits of the recession. I am seeing the early signs of the same thing.

As just one of a number of examples which I could site, it appears that families are going to be forced to pull together to deal with the hardships emanating from the economic woes. That is a good thing!

Now, I am not a blind optimist! I am expecting divorce rates to climb as partners forced to start their wealth building anew will decide that they want to start with a new partner. That will be tearing some families apart. But, at the same time, I expect that more and more people will realize that the best cure for their woes is to not expect a Washington personal bailout, but instead to take personal responsibility for making good things happen. As they take such responsibility, I fully expect them to look to their family structure for all manner of support.

Let me be very clear. Long term societal benefits don't pay one's mortgage, or put food on the table. I got it! My point is solely that I expect a lot of good to come out of the recession. Your challenge...and mine...is to adjust our sails to take advantage of the winds of changes that are unfolding so as to prosper in the tough times immediately before us.

No comments: