Saturday, October 25, 2008

Outward Bound Lesson for the 2008 Recession

As a six time Outward Bound graduate, I have had some amazing experiences that have shaped my thinking as to what it will take to prosper in these tough times.

I vividly recall the beauty of canoeing on the pristine lakes along the Minnesota/Canada border. And, just as vividly, I recall my whitewater canoeing on a mountain river in North Carolina. Night and day difference!


On the lakes, I was able to comfortably navigate my canoe solo. But, in whitewater, I needed a skilled team member to help navigate our canoe down the river safely. (Yes, we did whitewater canoeing…not kayaking or rafting!)

The last twenty plus years has been a placid lake compared to the whitewater we now all face. In better times, one could be a soloist and do OK, or even better.

In whitewater times, you will want to travel with the right team.

Your survival will depend on the quality of your team.

Are you a soloist? Better mothball that trait for better times.

If you are a team player, are you a good team player? Do you routinely pull your fair share of the load, or do you coast along on the efforts of others hoping no one will notice? And, are you so focused on your own issues that you can't be a strong team player?

In these turbulent times, I want skilled, focused, and supportive mates. Anything less, just will not be allowed in my canoe. After all, like you, I have a family dependent on my safely navigating this whitewater.

Will there be a line of great mates wanting YOU in their canoe?

This is the first in an ongoing series commenting on the lessons I learned from Outward Bound that are applicable to these tough times. Next up, the importance of self-rescue.

No comments: