Friday, October 17, 2008

Famous Last Words

Have you noticed more discussion among friends about job stability?

Just yesterday, two guys...in front of me at a line at the drugstore...were discussing their prospects of getting laid off. Each told the other that although layoffs were expected that "it won't be me."

I wish I had a dollar for every time I hear someone proclaiming "it won't be me."
Human nature has one thinking this survival thought.

Who gets laid off is often not fair. Often age bias creeps in...or politics...or relationships...or????

Seems smarter to be thinking "it could be me" and planning on making changes to (1) minimize the likelihood, and (2) develop a Plan B if such a layoff does occur.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

100% Correct! I was one of the two guys thinking it could not be me and then Whammy out the door I went. I never thought it could happen with me being a one man department, that had hired in several years back and proved to them that not only were they getting someone with a college education but I was willing to do all the functions under me that normally someone else would be hired to preform. My pay was light to moderate for my position and I thought I would work there until I died. They needed me, or so I thought. Then that day came when they decided to restructure due to tough times and they cut my whole department (me) and decided that they would live without providing the extra service functions, that I provided to their customers. Guess what? I wasn't prepared, and no where near ready for joblessness. Now that I have exhausted my unemployment I have found that other people can help in many ways.
http://moneystight.blogtoolkit.com and here are good spots for us to help each other prepare for being laid off and to help each other get ready and get by in hard times. If we all pull together we can do this.
Good Luck and get Prepared just in case, because you never know who's next!