Friday, October 10, 2008

Hopefully a Gracious Oasis for YOU!

As the economic woes in the United States deepen and spread around the world, the impact on society grows ever more monumental. Retirement plans are being devastated, savings safety nets ripped to shreds, and personal net worths significantly reduced. Money is not the end-all of our existence here on this planet, but it is -- for most people -- a terribly important factor in so many dimensions of their lives.

What worries me more than all the financial impacts is the concurrent toll on the psyche of people. After a record run of prosperity, our society has grown accustomed to relatively easy times. Such times are quickly fading in the rear view mirror. Every day, I am seeing more and more evidence of extreme stress in colleagues, in clients, in family members, and in friends.

I am deeply concerned that these stress levels will manifest themselves in all kinds of destructive behaviors, from increased use of drugs and alcohol...to increased spousal and parental abuse...yes, even to increased suicides.

It is the personal toll that concerns me much more than even the financial toll.

Having long been one who translate concerns into action, I am launching this blog with the hope that it will come to be a gracious oasis in these troubling times. I will be sharing stories that touch my heart of people who are being more compassionate in these tough times....people who are being more charitable...people who are reaching out to help others in ways that stretch my own thinking.

My posts will not ignore bad news; but I intend to let traditional media cover much of the load of the bad news as they are prone to do. I hope to serve up uplifting stories of humans helping humans, while also adding in my own take on what is going and why. I welcome posts that add to what I am trying to accomplish. And, I make no apology for deleting posts that seem designed to be hurtful to others or merely shamelessly promote a product, service, or other agenda.

One caveat, from the very inception of this blog. I claim no access to a crystal ball, to a magic pill, or to the key box for Nirvana Land. I enjoy a long history of being engaged by premier companies to help position them for changing environments. In essence, I am -- among other things -- a professional observer (and strategist). Never have I been more personally challenged at understanding what is happening and why. But at the same time, never have I been more energized to use my powers of observation to observe, comprehend, and fashion ways for individuals and companies to prosper in these tough times.

I welcome you aboard what I fully expect will be a most interesting journey. Please don’t ride in silence. Share your thoughts as you get a sense of the "rhythm" of this blog. And, if you like the rhythm, feel free to share with a friend who could benefit from what -- I hope -- will be a gracious oasis.

No comments: