Saturday, December 13, 2008

Outward Bound Lesson #2 for the Recession

As I see more and more friends impacted by the economic meltdown, the challenges we all face remind me - more and more - of some of the challenges I have faced on my six Outward Bound experiences. And, I am reminded of some of the powerful lessons I learned from my Outward Bound experiences.

Back in October, I wrote about one applicable lesson - the importance of having the right mates in tough times.

Watching industry after industry appeal to Congress to "save their industry" reminds me of yet another important Outward Bound lesson. That is the lesson of "self-rescue."

I will never forget the first time my canoe capsized in very challenging whitewater. As I bobbed to the surface of the wildly churning river, I spotted one of the instructors in a canoe about 10-15 yards away. I called out "help, help."

Back came the words I will never forget "self-rescue Dave." Just then I bobbed underwater again and when I came back up I again yelled "help help."

And, again back came the words "self-rescue Dave." At which point, I finally got the message. I was expected to rescue myself. At which point, I quickly concluded I needed to swim to the nearest shore. Which I did, albeit not without great difficulty.

My instructor always hovered nearby, but he sent a clear message that:
it was up to me to save myself.
It is a lesson that I have never forgotten!

It is a lesson more CEO's need to learn. Flying to Washington in a private jet to ask for a bailout, as the automakers did, is hardly demonstrating a commitment to self-rescue.

Unfortunately, ours is a society that likes to blame others for our failures. And, likes to expect others to rescue us from our failures.

Are you a business owner or executive counting on Washington to save your company, or are you committed to self-rescue as if your life depended on it?

Are you an individual out of work and counting on others to save you? Or are you pursuing finding a job as if your life really depended on it?

The surest way I know to save oneself, or one's company, is to practice self-rescue. Asking for assistance from others is smart, but ultimately we all have to reach down deep and use all of our strength to do our part.

This is the second in an ongoing series commenting on the lessons I learned from Outward Bound that are applicable to these tough times. Next up, the importance of service to others.

No comments: