Sunday, December 28, 2008

Support for New Year's Resolutions

As important as having the SMART goals (or resolutions) discussed in the previous post is having the right support team to help you stay on the path to accomplish your goals.

In my experience, few people are able to accomplish a really big goal all by themselves.
Life has a way of dealing all of us unexpected setbacks. With the right support team, one can get the guidance and encouragement to quickly get back on the right path.

There are a five different forms of available support:
  1. Coach or therapist
  2. Mentor
  3. Partner
  4. Mastermind Group
  5. Support group focused on the specific area of the goal (e.g., AA for those looking to stop drinking).

Of course, your family can play an important support role. However, I don't often see change happening successfully when the family is the only support force.

Personally, I am a big believer in surrounding myself with the right support. I benefit tremendously from having two coaches, being in two Mastermind Groups, and participating in four different business support groups. And, I have a cadre of mentors, protege's and partners that keep me continually focused on making the changes important to my well being, in all aspects of my life.

Do you have the right support structure in place to help you make your New Year's resolutions come true? If you are expecting better results in '09 than you accomplished in '08, do you have a better support team in place?

Coming Tomorrow: Making 2009 the Best Year of Your Life, the fourth post in the series Countdown to New Years. The six part series starts here.

No comments: