Thursday, December 18, 2008

Marshall Goldsmith Wisdom for Tough Times

One of the issues I think about often, for myself and for my clients, is how so often our past success breeds our future failure.

When we have heard the cheers, it is frequently difficult to change...this is what is called the "success trap."

One of my favorite illustrations of the success trap comes from the very talented, wonderfully articulate, and so classy NASCAR driver Jeff Burton. Some years ago, as I recall, Jeff had led all the laps of a race until the final two when he got passed and had to settle for runner-up. When asked by a reporter how he could possibly lose after leading so many laps, Jeff replied with this profound statement:


"I haven't yet learned how to adjust when I am winning."

For all of us, adjusting when we are winning is counter-intuitive. Why change when we are winning?

We must change to reflect changed circumstances. In Jeff Burton's case, the track condition was changing and his car needed to be adjusted to take advantage of the changes. In today's environment, all us of need to make changes.

Marshall Goldsmith wrote a terrific book which dealt with this phenomena as it pertains to our performance at work. What Got You Here Wont' Get You There is especially relevant in today's corporate world where one personal performance problem could have you on the "cut list."


Are you about to be the victim of the success trap? Is your past success breeding your future failure in this world where so much is changing, so quickly?

Coming Tomorrow: The exceptional wisdom of Joyce Meyers. You can read the entire series of Lessons from the Masters by starting here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this thoughtful post. I am glad that my book has been valuable for you. I love the quote on 'adjusting to winning'. Happy New Year!