Tuesday, December 30, 2008

365 Ways to Make 2009 the Best Year of Your Life

Hopefully, my last post has you thinking about making 2009 the best year of your life, notwithstanding dire economic predictions that abound. And regular readers of this blog know of my strong belief that to do so, you will need to have (1) SMART goals, and (2) the right support team.

I have long been big on SMART goals and the right support team. But, because I expect 2009 to be a challenging year, I have been determined to add a tool or two to increase the likelihood that 2009 will truly be the best year of my life.

I have a lot that I want to get accomplished in 2009...in my businesses, in my personal life, and with the launch of my program telling about the story of Scotty and his amazing wisdom. I need to bring my "A game" if I am to score well in 2009.

Recently I read a fine article in Success magazine on how North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams motivate his team. One particular quote from Coach Williams really got me thinking:
"If each of us works every day to be the best we can be on that day and then come back and do the same tomorrow, then we have a better chance of being our very best at year's end."

Hardly profound, at first reading. But, definitely profound when I reflected and was reminded that the total progress we accomplish in anything is the sum of the steps we take toward a goal.

The quality of your 2009 year will be a direct function of the quality of your months, your weeks and ultimately of the days.

Of course, I have long known this. But, I have to admit that in the past I gave up on too many days. Somewhere along the line as the day unfolded, I would give up on it being one of the best days of my life. I started every day with the right attitude...but I did not maintain that attitude throughout the day, even in the face of unexpected obstacles.

Hall of Fame hitters make every at-bat count. I have decided to make every day count. Every day. Every single day. No matter what obstacles I encounter.

And, because I believe that if one is serious about any change, one starts immediately, I adopted this attitude immediately upon reading and reflecting on the William's wisdom. I am comitted to shaping every day into one of the very best days of my life.

What about you? Do you let days slip by? Weeks slip by?

The environment, likely in 2009, leaves precious little room for any of us to do less than our best every single day.

Coming Tomorrow: Step-by-Step to the Best Year of Your Life, the sixth and final post in the series Countdown to New Years. The six part series starts here.

No comments: