Saturday, November 15, 2008

Embracing the Recession

Hopefully, the three previous posts in this series have convinced you that you do not want to be one of those denying the existence of the recession, fearing the recession, or even accepting the recession. Any one of those states of mind will lead you to a place you do not want to be.

I am personally committed to embracing the recession. And, I am equally committed to get my consulting clients, my mentees, and even dear friends to join me in embracing the recession. And likewise, I hope to convince regular readers of this blog...and even you... to embrace the recession.

Now, please don't confuse "embracing" with celebrating. I am not happy to see the devastation that is occurring in companies, in families, and in individuals. I am saddened by the devastation that has begun and will likely continue for quite some time. I am fully expecting to witness a lot of pain…especially from those who choose not to embrace the recession.

Embracing is the act of accepting the reality of the circumstances and drawing on your skills and experience that can be creatively used in the circumstances to fashion winning strategies and tactics.

Embracing the recession is about stepping into the circumstances, rather than running from them.

I am already seeing winners who are stepping into the tough circumstances and adapting their plans and actions to align with the tough times. Over the next week, I will be sharing examples of individuals and companies that are embracing the recession, tailoring new strategies and tactics for the changed times. Individuals and companies that are quickly demonstrating superior results.

What is stopping you from embracing the recession? Are you afraid to be committed to prospering in the face of so many friends, co-workers and neighbors already having accepted the worst? Or, are you just plain too lazy after years of cruising through the easy times?

Up next: Tomorrow, I will share why I believe President-elect Obama is seemingly embracing the recession! And, why all of us ought to hope that he is!!

No comments: