Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fearing the Recession

In my last post, I shared my views about those who are denying the recession. I see even more people fearing the recession.

And, lets be clear, there is much to potentially fear about this downturn.

I say "potentially" fear as fear is such a debilitating emotion that it must be held in check.
I see so many people, in all walks of life, frozen in fear about the recession. Instead of embracing the recession, they are terror struck.

I have seen this reaction from factory workers, from retail workers, and even from professionals such as lawyers, bankers, and consultants. I have seen it from those much younger than me, people my age, and people much older than me.

Now fear can be a wonderful safety mechanism for us as it can be a catalyst for us to act, such as when our fear triggers our instinct to flee a life threatening situation. But, it also can literally freeze us in our tracks. The latter can incapacitate us, and even can destroy our health...when we live in fear for extended periods of time .

Have fears of the recession and its effects frozen you in your tracks? Are you glued to the TV watching the latest news about the recession, rather than plotting and executing a new course of action?

If -- instead of fearing the existence of the recession -- you embrace its existence and make smart adjustments to your behaviors, you can not only survive this recession, you can be among those who will prosper in spite of the recession.

Up next: In my next post, I will cover the third of the common attitudes about the recession, accepting its existence.

No comments: