Thursday, February 5, 2009

Great Recesssion 2009

Well, it is official. At least in my world (for what that is worth). We have, regrettably moved beyond a "mere" recession and are now entering the territory of "the Great Recession of 2009."

Now, I am not an economist. So my label may not sync with the labels economists want to use. But, I see lots of pain, and I foresee much more pain coming our way. We have yet to hit bottom and the recovery, as I predicted many months ago, will be long. Long as in "years!"

I am not yet ready to conclude that what we are seeing will equal the Great Depression. But, I do believe that before it is over, this downturn will be commonly viewed as the mother of all recessions. Hence, my label of "The Great Recession."

Problems abound. Notwithstanding the best of efforts by our new President, Washington is acting like business as usual. Bloating a stimulus bill with pork, as both the House and Senate did, is simply outrageous and demonstrates that many Washington politicians will put their own interests above the interests of the country. Where are our true patriots at a time we so badly need them?

And, what about my friends from the business world who are so clueless what with their slowness in stopping the personal pig-outs, even as they are laying off thousands of people. Where are our true business leaders at a time we so badly need them?

This country is faced with the toughest turnaround I have ever seen in my thirty plus years of working with major corporate turnarounds. And that is before the crash in commercial real estate values which is likely to be every bit as impactful as the decline in residential real estate values. Add in the ripple effect which is touching more and more industries and we have a real mess.

One could get depressed by all the malaise and by the lack of leadership. I choose not to do so. Like many Americans, I have chosen to run faster...to work harder...to create even more value for my consulting clients...to try to be of personal assistance to even more friends and family members.

I refuse to surrender to the circumstances!

I am not ignoring the circumstances. For my clients, and for myself, I am devising and implementing strategies to prosper in tough times.

I am hardly the only one doing so. Every day, I am seeing individuals...from all walks of life...who are smartly noting the changed circumstances and making the changes needed to prosper in tough times. And by prosper, I don't mean just prospering economically. These individuals are prospering in all dimensions of their lives by the choices they are making.

Washington will hopefully eventually realize that business as usual is a path to disaster. Business leaders will hopefully also realize that the time for business as usual is long gone. But, my hope today rests with the individuals who are doing their part to make our country strong again. By taking good care of themselves and spreading prosperity through their efforts with others.

In tribute to the spirit of such individuals, for the next week I will be paying tribute to some individuals, from all walks of life, whom I see as leading the way in recognizing the need for change and then getting on with leading the way. Individuals whom I admire for the choices they are making. Individuals who perhaps can inspire you to take your own performance to a higher level. Individuals who "get it."

Coming Next: I will be saluting musician Jim Brickman in the next installment of my series on examples of individuals, from all walks of life, who "get it."

No comments: