Saturday, February 7, 2009

Lennox McIntosh Gets It!

Lennox McIntosh definitely gets it! Lennox is a wonderful example of an individual who understands that there is a very real economic downturn occurring, but he has chosen to prosper nevertheless. And, prosper in the full dimensions of the word!

Lennox is the Guest Service Manager at the Marriott Courtyard in Aventura, FL. Largely because of Lennox, I make this hotel my choice when traveling to South Florida to work with one of my very favorite clients.

Even in the good times, Lennox worked diligently to make sure I understood that my business was appreciated. In these tough times, he has picked up his game and even does more to make sure that guests know their business is truly appreciated.

In my case, I am always greeted with a heart warming smile and Lennox's genuine, cheery welcome...one always using my name. Throughout my stay, Lennox is always looking out for me...always there to resolve anything that might be the least bit wrong.

Lennox understands that I, and every other guest, have a choice of hotels, especially in these tough times. He is being a smart businessman by making sure that I choose to keep on coming back to "his" hotel. And, he does so in a way that lifts the spirits of anyone coming in contact with him.

His consistently excellent performance is in sharp contrast to the two front desk employees I recently wrote about in connection with my recent stay at the Bellagio Hotel in Vegas.

(As much as I would miss him, Marriott should put Lennox in charge of training front desk managers nationally...he really is that good! )

Are you letting the times get you down? Or, like Lennox McIntosh, have you picked up your game and taken your personal performance to a higher level? A higher level that will not only help you to prosper, but also serve as an inspiration for others as to how to prosper in tough times.

The prosperity choice is yours...it really is!

Coming Next: I will be saluting life coach Brad Swift in the next installment of my series on examples of individuals, from all walks of life, who "get it." The series starts here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm constantly annoyed by the fact most employees just don't get it when it comes to how they treat their customers. Since this is more the norm than abnormal, it occurred to me there may be something else going on. Two observations in that regard. First, without a clearly communicated and infused Vision from the owners or management, the customer service objective will never be accomplished. Second, owners and mangers need to clearly determine what the ideal customer experience is, as defined by their own customers. Make a point of asking every customer on checkout what the best thing about their stay was and what if anything could be done to make it a better experience. You'll be surprised at the appreciation and feedback you get.

Blog Host said...

Mark

Thank you for your thoughtful post.

Like you, I believe that much of the problem lies with senior managers who are not clearly communicating that every single customer is important, more so today than in recent "good" times.

The days of managers having to put up with poor performers due to the (then) labor shortage are long gone. The winning businesses will be taking advantage of the changed labor market to instill great customer service.

These are truly times when the astute and the agile can prosper!

Dave